Thursday, July 2, 2009

Microsoft Has A...Blog?


I was doing some research for my job today and I found out several things I didn't know. I was searching for information on Microsoft Visual Studio 2008. VS 2008 is an Integrated Developer Environment (IDE) which just means that it's software to help write other software. I have used previous versions of it practically daily since 1999. So Now we are looking to upgrade to a newer version. I've got to admit that I started with version 6 (released in 1998) and the product has only improved over the past 10 years (dang...am I that old?). I cam to find out (shock) that Microsoft is looking to release version 2010 next year and a Beta version is already available for download and (awe!) there is maintaining a blog on Google's blogspot for development notes and news on programming with Microsoft Products!

After comparing 2008 specs with 2010 specs it is my opinion that i should just upgrade to 2010 when it comes out and skip 2008 altogether. We want to be able to access the .Net coding languages, Python, Silverlight, parallel processing on multiple CPUs, and multi-threading. Visual Studio 2010 will give us all of this including easier automation of Microsoft Office products. Here is another site for more info on VS 2010 features.

The other thing is I found out about a coding library that can be run on Visual Studio 2005 or newer for making Facebook applications on top of ASP.Net application. It's called Facebook.Net and I've got to download it and check it out.

Here are the links I found on it.
Facebook.Net
VS.NET starter kit for Nikhil Kothari's Facebook.NET
Nikkil's blog post

No comments: