Friday, January 14, 2011

Android 3D Carousel - CodeProject

Introduction to article

For a while I was looking for 3D carousel control for Android platform. The only one I found was UltimateFaves at [1]. But as it turned out it uses OpenGL. And it’s not open source. I thought if it is possible to avoid a use of OpenGL. Continuing my investigations I stamped on Coverflow Widget at [2]. And it uses standard Android 2D libraries. So the idea was the same – to use Gallery class for the carousel. The Coverflow Widget just rotates images and I wanted to rotate all group of them. Well, at least it implies the use of simple trig methods. More complicated stuff goes with the Gallery class. If you’d look through the article about Coverflow Widget at [3] you’d see a bunch of problems, such as unavailability of default scope variables in AbsSpinner and AdapterView classes. So I went the same way and rewrote some classes. And the Scroller class will be replaced by the Rotator class wich looks like Scroller but it rotates the group of images.


Android 3D Carousel - CodeProject
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: